[GLLUG] Re: Debian on My Laptop

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 22:43:45 EDT 2007

Don't forget how old Julie's "new" laptop is.  I believe it has a
Pentium, maybe a Pentium II, and 64MB of RAM.  I doubt Ubuntu would boot
on it, even without any GUI.

Granted, Julie probably doesn't have much, if anything, on it that needs
saving, but you might want to back up the Damn Small Linux installation
on it so you can restore it when you find the recent version of other
distros won't run on it, or run poorly.  Now, the latest version of Damn
Small Linux would be a good choice, as I didn't notice how old the
version on it now is.  And a new version of Puppy Linux just came out.

                                Chick

Charles Ulrich wrote:
> Julie Code wrote:
> > I was wondering if someone would be willing to install debian on my
> > laptop. I am wanting debian instead of damn small because they have
> > better apts becuase I want to put LaTex on my computer and all the
> > packages that goes with it.  I hear there is a new debian out?

You might want to go with Ubuntu instead. It's based on Debian but is
far easier to install and far easier to use. If Ubuntu doesn't have the
LaTeX packages you want, I believe most Debian packages work just fine
in Ubuntu.