[GLLUG] Re: Debian on My Laptop

Wald pdwald at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:24:31 EDT 2007

You should try to install slackware. I believe that it should install
normally following the proper procedures. Slackware  would be the best
option for such hardware as far as speed and simplicity goes. The
installer does not have graphical interface, nothing like anaconda, etc;
but the nucurse interface or text interfaces is very easy to follow. I
would not recommend running anything like kde or gnome in such hardware,
but an icewm would quite fast and it get the job done. I run a webserver
inside a honeypot, ssh server, smb server, nfs server, etc, 24 hours per
day 365 days per year on a Pentium 166MMX laptop and everything is based
on slackware 11.0 linux with kernel 2.6.x (it takes a long time to
compile the kernel though). Slackware also has package management system
called swaret which would update anything or even upgrade the whole system.

-pedro

Chick Tower wrote:
> Don't forget how old Julie's "new" laptop is.  I believe it has a
> Pentium, maybe a Pentium II, and 64MB of RAM.  I doubt Ubuntu would boot
> on it, even without any GUI.
>
> Granted, Julie probably doesn't have much, if anything, on it that needs
> saving, but you might want to back up the Damn Small Linux installation
> on it so you can restore it when you find the recent version of other
> distros won't run on it, or run poorly.  Now, the latest version of Damn
> Small Linux would be a good choice, as I didn't notice how old the
> version on it now is.  And a new version of Puppy Linux just came out.
>
>                                Chick
>

> Charles Ulrich wrote:
>> Julie Code wrote:
>> > I was wondering if someone would be willing to install debian on my
>> > laptop. I am wanting debian instead of damn small because they have
>> > better apts becuase I want to put LaTex on my computer and all the
>> > packages that goes with it.  I hear there is a new debian out?
>
> You might want to go with Ubuntu instead. It's based on Debian but is
> far easier to install and far easier to use. If Ubuntu doesn't have the
> LaTeX packages you want, I believe most Debian packages work just fine
> in Ubuntu.

Pedro von Wald - (248)327-3221

Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, Comptia iNet+, Comptia Security+
SAIR GNU Certified Linux System Administrator
Microsoft Cert. Professional

Key fingerprint = 7A6D DB07 38DC AD70 A658  438A 57DA E4C2 500E 7A68

Ultra Black MicroFly Aluminum Micro ATX Case, ASUS A8N-VM CSM
Athlon XP +3200 64Bits (Venice Core), Ultra 4x512MB PC3200 CL3 Memory
MASSCOOL 5F531B1M3CG 80mm Ball CPU Cooler, Thermaltake TR2 ATX430W