[GLLUG] Software Updates

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Thu Apr 19 15:31:20 EDT 2007

Thomas Hruska wrote:
> Clay Dowling wrote:
>> Thought folks would be happy to hear that a new version of Thunderbird is
>> out today.  It's definitely prettier than 1.5, but too new for me to see
>> if there are other important differences.
>>
>> I also found a most delightful extension today, Lightning:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/
>>
>> It allows Thunderbird to send and receive the same vcalendar format that
>> Outlook users use.  It's a big boon at my office, where management
>> insists
>> on using Outlook, principally for the ability to send vcalendar messages
>> to announce meetings.
>>
>> Clay
>
> Clay,
>
> Thanks for the heads-up.  My Thunderbird install is set up to
> auto-update in most cases.  Unfortunately most Mozilla products don't
> _usually_ auto-update when they release a new major version.  At least
> I've never had that happen.  (For example, Firefox 1.x to 2.x.)  They
> should use MyUpdate Toolkit.
>
> Already use Lightning.  I find it, well, awkward to use - it sticks
> itself in the left pane and can't be closed (I figured out how to keep
> its vertical space to a minimum 10 pixels).  Also, setting up repetitive
> annual events (e.g. birthday reminders) makes the calendar display wrong
> information.  I'll use it on occasion for the really important, one-time
> events, but I wouldn't really trust it with day-to-day stuff.
>
> My favorite Thunderbird extension is XNote.  You can tag individual
> e-mails you keep with a little yellow "Post-It" note reminding you why
> you are keeping it.  Select the e-mail and you say, "oh, yeah, I need to
> do that!"

And so much for the latest version of Thunderbird.  XNote doesn't work
with it.  The other extensions seem fine.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.5
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/