[GLLUG] Penguicon

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 09:20:28 EDT 2007

> - I believe(and it's just MY OPINION) that the Game Box should be more
> then one, and I also think that should be about OPEN SOURCE gaming more
> then anything else. Playing commercial games is cool, but does not
> contribute to the Open Source Community. I believe more planing and
> discussion is necessary about this.

I think we need _hardware_ ! this was discussed, and the 3 people working on
it decided this was about showing commercial games. especially those than
run natively on linux. The average "blockbuster" commercial game has a
budget similar to that of a movie, and a similar production time. Open
Source games just can't make the same quality in the same time. I don't know
if rick had any open source games installed or not but the focus was for
people to see that they worked, and have fun. Thanks to Rick for bringing
the machine, as without it do to Jason somehow... b0rking his OS on his
linux box we would have had nothing... as I don't consider my current box up
to the task. Those willing to put in effort towards the gaming machines, can
have more say. My effort at the end dropped off because obviously we had
_very_ little interest within gllug to make this happen. Next year I will
let someone else be in charge, and If I have a machine to donate, I will
donate it, just as I donate my monitor, sound card, and speakers this year.

- When we volunteer to help at the lounge, we make a commitment. Other
> volunteers also want to attend panels and have fun, and by not showing
> up, some volunteer(s) disrespected the group, and I honestly think
> something should be done about it.

this is exactly why I didn't want to be an official volunteer at all, and
wanted to avoid security shifts (because they are more critical). Also you
didn't seem to have this same opinion when I was looking for Jordan when he
was missing his shift. It went from he's over there to, oh he's missing his
shift, I don't know where he is. This seems hypocritical on your part.

- We could have had more items for sale, to raise funds to our pizza
> money. This is something that only Chick acted on, more of us should
> follow the example.

So what are you buying next year to sell? Instead of funding pizza, we could
use the money to fund things for the lounge. because I'm sure some of that
stuff cost us money.

- I strongly suggest that GLLUG need a "GLLUG Suite", for all the
> volunteers to crash and also so we can trow a party!

so when one volunteer is trying to sleep everyone else is partying? yeah
that'll work.

--
Caleb Cushing