[GLLUG] more Penguicon thoughts

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue Apr 24 08:22:59 EDT 2007

I think I just heard Chick volunteer to chair the Kid Track.  It would
actually be a cool thing to do, but at that point liability goes way up
and it's a full time gig.  Especially since kids at the Con implies a risk
of exposure to the Trojan horse and associated activities, as well as the
condom box.  It's a tricky issue, and people are nothing like rational
when it comes to the perceived welfare of their kids.  Expect some
demonstration of righteous indignation because someone near the area had a
picture on their screen that someone else didn't think their precious
darling should see.

That said, I think that using the projector and MythTV to show some kids
movies would be awesome.  I'm willing to share anything from my collection
for such a project, although I don't think I have anything current.

Clay

Chick Tower wrote:
> Dude, what's with all the hate?  Kids are beautiful, man.  Next year,
> instead of banning them, we should have activities for them, like
> teaching them freedom songs about Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds,
> painting pictures with The Gimp, and a _March of the Penguins_/_Happy
> Feet_ double-feature on the MythTV box.  Maybe even a Breakfast with
> Tux, featuring scrambled penguin eggs and kippers, if Penguicon will
> loan us their costume.  Then we could print up Penguin Hatchling
> certificates for them to take home.
>
> Seriously, though, what is with all the negative references to children
> in the computer lounge?  I spent as much time there as anyone, and I
> didn't see any problems with them.  They didn't deprive anyone of use of
> the terminals, didn't run around or scream and yell.  You don't even
> know if that was their empty condom box that was found.
>
>                                 Chick
>

> Someone Who Shall Remain Anonymous wrote:
>> ...It's just a lot simpler to boot the kids, or if we aren't
>> willing to boot them permanently, boot them after 7:00 or something and
>> then flip the gaming machines into gaming mode until morning, then go
>> back to terminals for the daytime.

Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com