[GLLUG] more Penguicon thoughts

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Wed Apr 25 20:59:19 EDT 2007

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:38:47 -0400
Jeff Lawton <jeff at idealso.com> wrote:

> Lee is planning on attending next year I sure he would share his
> squid configuration files to make the lounge a safe place for kids.
> We could offer passwords to allow adults to bypass the filter if
> needed. Lee I don't mean to speak for you. would you be willing to
> take on the kid safe proxy filter for next year?

Such proxies tend to be both ineffective and too effective - that is,
easy to bypass or find out the password, and they don't block
everything they should, or tends to block sites that shouldn't be
blocked. The main result will be annoying people who are just trying to
look something up.

There's also the liability issue again.  I believe that if we attempt
to block everything "bad" we become responsible for whatever gets
through.

On the other hand, a caching transparent web proxy is an excellent
idea.  I'd been thinking of this too.  Next year, we should put
everything behind a pfsense box with a proxy on it, and let it serve
dhcp and dns to all non-terminal computers.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com