[GLLUG] PDF Files

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Fri Apr 27 21:35:45 EDT 2007

I've attached an example of the only form of PDF file that's not
printable by a determined user.  Basically, I just created a PDF using a
secret process then compressed it with my new lossless compression
algorithm.  I can't disclose the details of the compression algorithm
until I get the patent, but it compresses ALL files by a minimum of five
percent.

Even if you are still running LPD and haven't upgrading yet (CUPS caught
on when, around 2000?), the fundamental flaw remains that you are giving
the user the data and trying to keep them from using that data at the
same time.  That's why DRM schemes always fail.  If the user lacks
access to the content, it's not usable.  If the user has access to the
data, they have access to it, period.

In the modern printing world (CUPS/IPP), the print server just deals
with incoming postscript data, does some manipulations to it, and sends
it out to the printer in whatever format the printer prefers.  The PDF
format is based on PostScript and there is actually a lot more software
out there that deals with Postscripts files than with PDFs.

I don't doubt you found a bug in a PDF viewing program that resulted in
printouts from that program not working properly.  Lots of software has
bugs, that's normal (Acrobat Reader in particular is extremely buggy).
What I doubt is that you created an unbreakable DRM system in spite of
the mathematics that say it's not possible.  The **AA Cartels have been
trying that for years too, but it's not going to happen.

For those still reading, yes, that was a joke earlier, but I figured it
was pretty dang obvious :).