[GLLUG] Burnbox Future

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Fri Apr 27 21:24:47 EDT 2007

Steve,

The BSD license gives the RECIPIENT of the software maximal freedom, not
the copyright holder.  The copyright holder always has additional rights
in excess of the BSD or GPL licenses.  The GPL is an attempt to strike a
balance between the "gift" of content to public domain and the default
restrictions of copyright law.  The BSD licenses are little more than
"do what you want with it, but you can't plagiarized our work and claim
you wrote it".

The danger of the BSD license is that it allows others to take your work
and then improve it just enough to take a chunk of the market and close
the source on it.  I'm talking about something like Microsoft extending
a product so that it is no longer compatible with the original, closing
the source, and selling it as their own.

If Clay wanted to sell his software at a later date, he is free to do so
under any license he wishes.  A competitor basing a product off his work
would either have to get a new license from Clay due to his copyright
(which could very result in a BSD style license or a complete transfer
of copyright) or release any distribution of its product under the GPL
as well.  This protects Clay's own work from being used against him to
steal his product's potential market.

The BSD licenses are great for mass adoption, but much less optimal for
the developer or his project's survival in the market (whether offered
for free or not).  If the rest of the open source community didn't agree
in general, the GPL wouldn't have caught on in such a big way.