[GLLUG] Burnbox Future

STeve Andre' andres at msu.edu
Fri Apr 27 21:35:16 EDT 2007

   Yes, its great for the recipient.  Thats the entire point.  Giving the
software to the world, to help it as much as possible.  What you see
as a danger, I see as something fantastic.  Take OpenSSH: which
would you rather see: HP writing their own horrid and crufty version
of it and bake it into switches such that they have interesting bugs,
or their taking OpenSSH, and using a far higher quality code base,
such that it, at least, is secure?

   Yes, MS could do that.  So what?  The purpose of open-source
code IS TO BE OPEN.  And I say, free for whatever use, as well.  This
is why I pretty much detest the paternalistic 'to preserve your
rights we have to take some away' approach of the GPL.

   I'm coming to the conclusion that a lof of folks in the Linux
camp only want to spread their code under specific conditions.
Thats OK, they absolutely have the right, but it isn't free.  Not
really.

--STeve Andre'