[GLLUG] Burnbox Future

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Fri Apr 27 22:28:46 EDT 2007

STeve Andre' wrote:
>    Yes, its great for the recipient.  Thats the entire point.

Clay isn't the recipient, he's the developer.  He can always issue a
more relaxed license later, he can't take one already released back.
It's in Clay's best interests to not release this code under the BSD
license if he thinks he might like to sell it commercially one day.

Giving the
> software to the world, to help it as much as possible.  What you see
> as a danger, I see as something fantastic.  Take OpenSSH: which
> would you rather see: HP writing their own horrid and crufty version
> of it and bake it into switches such that they have interesting bugs,
> or their taking OpenSSH, and using a far higher quality code base,
> such that it, at least, is secure?

HP can take OpenSSH, modify it, and then include in in their routers.
True, the code base started more secure, but now I cannot verify that
the code I received is in fact secure.  We are back to the user being
unable to trust a questionable closed source software because an
otherwise open source program has been closed sourced by HP.  As soon as
the software is closed, all the additional benefits to the community are
lost.  In such a case, OpenSSH would have saved HP a lot of money and
helped it stay in a market it was exploiting.  Society's resources could
obviously be better spent elsewhere as HP is just rewriting a utility
that already exists and is free for use by all.

Personally, I would have rather they wrote a horrid and crufty version,
bake it in, and get a bad reputation because of it.  Alternatively, they
could spend a bundle and write a very nice one almost up to part with
OpenSSH.  Eventually, the competitors using a completely open source SSH
implementation should win out due to the lower costs and higher quality.
  It may take a hundred years, but logically, free software should
triumph in the end.

It's also useful to note that OpenSSH is not just under a BSD style
license.  It has aspects similar to the Apache license which bar
derivative works from using the names ssh or Secure Shell unless the
protocol is maintained in accordance with the descriptions spelled out.
  This clause keeps HP from extending the SSH client and making it
incompatible with others.  This condition works like some of the GPL
restrictions in keeping derivative works from being extended into an
incompatible form and then being closed off from the community.

>    Yes, MS could do that.  So what?  The purpose of open-source
> code IS TO BE OPEN.  And I say, free for whatever use, as well.  This
> is why I pretty much detest the paternalistic 'to preserve your
> rights we have to take some away' approach of the GPL.

The "your" in this sentence is preserving the rights of the developer,
NOT the recipient.  If you don't want to preserve those rights, you are
free to do so by choosing another license or gifting the work to the
public domain.

>    I'm coming to the conclusion that a lof of folks in the Linux
> camp only want to spread their code under specific conditions.
> Thats OK, they absolutely have the right, but it isn't free.  Not
> really.

I don't distribute anything non-trivial under BSD style licenses.  It's
more important for me to ensure that my contributions continue to
benefit the community at large and don't end up getting closed source
and used to the detriment of that community.  I don't feel that giving
others the ability to close source my work is worth the damage it can
cause to the community.  In general, someone attempting to do that is

Anyhow, I'm not going to argue; it's getting too late.  You are
obviously of the opinion that it's better to give everyone the
opportunity to profit from your work, even at the expense of assisting
others to repress society as a whole.  I obviously disagree, and always
will.