[GLLUG] Ubuntu

Marr marr at copper.net
Fri Aug 3 11:06:31 EDT 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 10:50am, Steven Sayers wrote:
> Well, I've another post to make. I hear a lot about Linux User Groups
> disliking Ubuntu for it's ease of use / limited choice. I for one like
> Ubuntu, I still have dabbled in Gentoo, started Linux with Debian, and
> have done a lot of technical things in my day. Will I still be respected
> as an Ubuntu user?

Absolutely. :^)

I've been using Slackware since 1996 and, although I wouldn't call myself a
(routine) Ubuntu user, I was very favorably impressed at how well it worked
on my newest laptop PC. And it wasn't even the latest-and-greatest version of
Ubuntu.

For example, with Ubuntu, the funky rocker-switch (as opposed to a nice
rotating wheel) volume control on my Toshiba Tecra A8-EZ8412 worked fine
whereas a basic Slackware installation couldn't deal with it at all.

I can see a possible future where I'd run Ubuntu much more often, just based
on how well I've seen (and heard about) it detecting out-of-the-ordinary
hardware.

P.S. Some of us are still dialup-only, so you'll never see (hear) me on IRC.
I'll leave it up to you to decide if my lack of IRC participation is a "plus"
or a "minus".  ;^)

Bill Marr