[GLLUG] Good Words on Ubuntu

Jason Green jave27 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:32:35 EDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Steven Sayers <sjsayers93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is great to hear. I was kinda skeptical of joining a LUG because
> they were stereotypically anti-Ubuntu =D

Personally, I'm anti-just-about-everything-but-Ubuntu.  I hang out in
various Linux-oriented chat rooms, and 85%+ of the "dumb questions"
come from people on source-based distros who don't know how the first
thing about programming or UNIX build systems.  While I think a lot of
good can come from some of those source-based distros, and they are
very flexible and powerful when the user is knowledgeable enough, I
have a really tough time recommending something like that to new users
(or even people who just want a usable desktop for non-programming
purposes).

Ubuntu does a spectacular job of getting things configured for you.
If you want to have a peek under the hood, it's pretty easy to do,
too, but it doesn't shove your head against the engine make you sniff
the fumes.

</flamebait>