[GLLUG] Good Words on Ubuntu

Steven Sayers sjsayers93 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:38:05 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 17:32 -0400, Jason Green wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Steven Sayers <sjsayers93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This is great to hear. I was kinda skeptical of joining a LUG
> because
> > they were stereotypically anti-Ubuntu =D
> >

> Personally, I'm anti-just-about-everything-but-Ubuntu.  I hang out in
> various Linux-oriented chat rooms, and 85%+ of the "dumb questions"
> come from people on source-based distros who don't know how the first
> thing about programming or UNIX build systems.  While I think a lot of
> good can come from some of those source-based distros, and they are
> very flexible and powerful when the user is knowledgeable enough, I
> have a really tough time recommending something like that to new users
> (or even people who just want a usable desktop for non-programming
> purposes).
>
> Ubuntu does a spectacular job of getting things configured for you.
> If you want to have a peek under the hood, it's pretty easy to do,
> too, but it doesn't shove your head against the engine make you sniff
> the fumes.
>
> </flamebait>

Well it's great to hear that everyone supportive of Ubuntu. I'm really
excited to go Thursday now. Also, I really think the website should be
fixed. I see the group is active Via mail but having a link to where the
meetings will be is much easier for anyone who wants to peek and show
up. In other news I'm installing Ubuntu on my mothers laptop however the
people at wherever she bought it locked the partitions [only way I can
explain it] so I am using Wubi. Which is a great project but really
could use a faster web server. The installer it's self is very easy,
however it is taking many hours to download.