[GLLUG] Ubuntu

Dennis Kelly dpk at egr.msu.edu
Tue Aug 7 12:00:55 EDT 2007

I've gotten "Ubuntu is for noobs," but I honestly don't care.  I've
been a Linux user for over a decade now.  I've been a Debian developer
and an admin in pretty large user settings, and while I continue to
use Debian for servers, I recently switched to Ubuntu for my desktop
systems.

I'm at a point where I don't need to compile a kernel or watch a
screenful of auto downloads, make output, or installs to feel smart
and/or productive.  I want a real workstation... not a station that I
have to make work.  I want to accomplish more than simply running
Linux, and don't think there is anything wrong with asking for a
simple, easy to use interface that is also customizable.  I don't want
to steal Debian's thunder because they put a tremendous amount of
effort into building a clean, powerful, and stable operating system,
and I enjoy the fact I can always go down to a shell when needed.

Yes, you should be able to debug and fix problems with your systems,
but it doesn't necessarily mean you need to know the internals of
every piece of software you run.  Use the extra time you have to do
something useful like using computers to find a cure for cancer, spend
time with your family and friends, turn off the computer and save our
beautiful environment, or hit some sick pow stashes on the steeps of
the mountain.

dpk