[GLLUG] GLLUG and Software Freedom Day

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Sun Aug 12 14:03:29 EDT 2007

Let me throw in two cents and since I am out of the loop most of this will
seem repititive, but maybe there is something new..

First I applaud the LCC idea.  I know there are lofty goals, but keep in
mind a lot of people are not even comfortable installing their own
software, so it is a HUGE win if you can get them to install it, and =try=
it muchless use it. So the KISS philosophy applies, keep it stupid simple.
Make sure it works, and don't get too fancy. IE don't get in a huge debate
between GNU/Open Source, don't get into a distribution debate and shy away
from the M$ vs open source debate, etc. Don't give them too many options
it becomes overcomplicated. And if they aren't willing to change let it
go, just make sure they understand other options are available to legally
try for free. And remember "it just works".

I wouldn't mind seeing an "open source for education/educators-lowering
the cost of education/how to integrate" and/or an "open source for
students" modules.

A presentation in a video format available online and/or a standalone,
unmanned presentation machine. It could also double as a burn station for
students to burn cd's to take home with them for people on slower
connections. Integrated with LCC courses, and say "you can use this
software with xxx class" would also be huge.

A "help sheet" for configuring the programs to LCC specific things, say
Thunderbird for LCC's mail system and documentation on the LCC website on
how to do it.

Availability of "cheat sheets" for OpenOffice, etc, are extremely
helpful.

A "how you can help as a non-programmer", that lists among other things,
places for bugs reporting, and feature requests.

Documentation on the "next" step. Mozilla, and OpenOffice work for me and
I don't want to pay for Vista..

That is a summary of my initial thoughts.