[GLLUG] Laptop Hard Drive

Patrick Collora collorap at msu.edu
Wed Aug 29 19:44:39 EDT 2007

Hey Everyone,

My mother gave me her old Micron/Zeos Pentium laptop, which has an 800
MB drive.  I'd like to install one with a higher capacity, but I'm not
certain what it can support.  After searching the web I found that there
are a number of potential BIOS limitations, but I haven't found a way to
verify whether they are present or not other than to try a drive and see
what happens.  Unfortunately, the largest 2.5" drive I own is the 2 GB
one in my 486 notebook, which I'm sure this one can support as well.  Do
any of you have any extra laptop drives I could test in it?  Barriers
around 4 and 8 GB appear to be common, so I'd like to test one larger
than 8 GB.  I wouldn't mind putting some more RAM in it also, but
unfortunately the modules appear to be proprietary, so I may not be able
to find any.  I'll probably be able to come to the meeting tomorrow, for
a little while at least.

Thanks.

--
Patrick Collora