[GLLUG] Meeting Thursday, Dec 6, 2007

Karl Schuttler rexykik at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:33:14 EST 2007

I have class until 6, so I may or may not be late.

In order to do the presentation we'll be creating a mock network using
wep and my linksys wrt54gl, which you might've bricked following last
week's demonstration (but i rocked the casbah and have ddwrt running
on it). For this I need a few people willing to sit out in
participation, and just watch. Those sitting out will authenticate to
the network and be our dummies to generate traffic on the network in
order to simulate a network in the field. If your card doesn't support
injection, then you get to play this part. You'll still be able to
search the web, etc, so no worries.

For those of you who wish to follow along:

You're going to need a linux system with the following tools
-aircrack
-aireplay (or aireplay-ng)**
-airodump (or airodump-ng)
-kismet

Backtrack 2.0 has all of these and more.

For those of you who haven't used kismet before, it requires you to
change the source= value in /etc/kismet/kismet.conf . If you are using
the netgear wg511T** it will probably be
source=madwifi_g,DEVICENAME,atheros . Please have this configured
before you come or before I start my presentaiton; I will try to help
you with us the best i can, but I don't know all the different cards
and their options. Try google searching your card chip type (prism,
broadcom, atheros, etc) and kismet to find someone who already has
their config desplayed.

*If you have a netgear wg511t, please be aware that the Backtrack 2.0
disc isn't going to work with you. Backtrack supports this chipset,
but doesn't currently have monitor mode support for it. You won't be
able to inject packets. I can show you a little work around through
kismet to monitor and capture packets, though, but not inject. If you
plan on using this card, download and install the above applications
on your distribution, and don't bother using backtrack.