[GLLUG] Booting / as a RAID device in Ubuntu

Dennis Kelly dpk at egr.msu.edu
Thu Dec 6 13:39:17 EST 2007

sda3 and sdb3 are raid1 as md3, mounts as /boot

sdb4 is in a raid1 as md4, to be mounted as /.  I rsync'd sda4 to md4,
trying to boot md4 as /, so then I can add sda4 as part of the raid1.

If I load the kernel using root=/dev/sda4, it will load the kernel and
mount /dev/md4 as /, as specified in /etc/fstab... no problems.
root=/dev/md4 fails, so my first thought is to look at initrd, make
sure raid1 is included... the modules are there, but /dev in the
initramfs doesn't have md3 or md4, and I think that is my problem.

So my question is how do I add those devices to my initramfs?  I
checked man pages and Google and didn't find anything appropriate.

Thanks,
dpk