[GLLUG] Triple Boot and Grub?

L Inbody linbody at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:59:45 EST 2007

I know this is a little off topic but I have been working on an HP 6000dv
x64 for almost a week trying to get it to dual boot Vista and PCLinuxOS, I
have set up dual boot in the same config many times with Dells but never an
HP yet.  If anyone ever does this, make sure you burn the restore disk
first!  I had forgotten that was a must for HP, $28 later....and an old Win
98SE cd for the fdisk /mbr was the only way the recovery disk would work.

For a reason unknown yet, this particular computer really did not like the
partition change that I applied from within Linux.  It just would not boot
into Vista but had no problems with Linux.

On Dec 6, 2007 7:55 PM, Chick Tower <c.e.tower at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I recall correctly, Ubuntu will leave the entries for other boot
> selections alone when you update it.  (I haven't used it in a while.)
> However, if you let another distro create its own menu and reinstall
> GRUB, there's no guarantee it will include what's already in menu.lst.
> I would recommend keeping a copy of menu.lst someplace other than where
> it's located (/boot/grub in Slackware) in case you want to restore it.
>
>                                Chick
>

> Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> > My question is - when ubuntu does a kernel update and changes the
> > menu itself (or the other distro) will I be losing the settings for
> > the distro that ISN'T the one updating?

Running Linux? Are you completely out of your mind.  That thing is a
rip-off.  It comes with no viruses, no Trojans, no malware , etc .......