[GLLUG] Re: Booting / as a RAID device in Ubuntu

Dennis Kelly dpk at egr.msu.edu
Fri Dec 7 15:28:07 EST 2007

> I was curious because I've tended away from software RAID and gravitated
> towards 3Ware hardware RAID.  One reason is to avoid the issue you
> encountered: non-booting because of software configuration or boot-time
> modules in the kernel.

It's usually fine once they are properly configured and running.  I
also like the monitoring and configuration flexibility you have in
software once it is running.  I'm a Debian user/admin of 10 years, and
always compiled my own kernels, so I avoided initrd until my recent
switch to Ubuntu (sssh... this fact may still alarm so long-time users
on the list!)  I just figured it was time I got a handle on it and
grub.

Because it's all in software, I was still able to get it to boot.
While not optimal in some situations, at least I can get it working if
it was critical for operations, and get the optimal situation working
later.

dpk