[GLLUG] linux friendly audio player

Charles Ulrich charles at bityard.net
Sun Dec 9 15:07:04 EST 2007

I have to second this. All of iRiver's devices are superb. They
usually carry 3x as many features as an equivalent ipod but are half
the price. I have one of their 1GB flash-based players (the ifp-899)
and it plays MP3, OGG, WMA, has an FM tuner built-in, and can record
from the radio or a line-in jack. The thing is tiny and gets 40 hours
of life on one AA battery. The only downside to it is that it's not a
USB mass storage device, although there is a firmware upgrade that can
change this. I don't bother, though, because the Linux tools that can
talk to this player (including Amarok) do a good enough job.

Charles