[GLLUG] Revitalizing old equipment

Nathan Hartley nathan at ilothlorien.com
Wed Feb 7 20:02:09 EST 2007

> PCLinuxOS is a bit slow, but it's, for some reason, is the only OS that
I can install on it.  DSL and PuppyLinux failed during the HW check.
Didn't try *ubuntu/fedora/etc. due to memory limitation (this lappy can
only have max 256 Mb RAM.)

There are two problems I have had with installs on a similar older system.

 . The old CD ROM has proved to be incompatible with something in the
install routines. Usually the install utility starts just fine and then are
not able to find it's remaining files or says the CD is corrupt.

 . At least with the Ubuntu Server install I recently did, I had to install
the 386 kernel to get it to boot.

My favorite "friends and family" distro on older equipment has been Xubuntu.
The best running has been DSL after figuring out the right boot time video
parameter to get it to load.

 Nathan