[GLLUG] Help configuring network (RE: Meeting Thursday, February 8)

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Feb 8 10:07:20 EST 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 19:23, after a long battle with
technology, Junus, Ranti wrote:
> I have this Toshiba Tecra 8000, PII, 256M, 10G.
> PCLinuxOS is a bit slow, but it's, for some reason, is the only OS
> that I can install on it.  DSL and PuppyLinux failed during the HW
> check. Didn't try *ubuntu/fedora/etc. due to memory limitation (this
> lappy can only have max 256 M RAM.)

Xubuntu may run OK with only 256M.  When hardware gets old enough, it
may become tricky to work with.  There are a bunch of reports on
tuxmobil about the Tecra 8000, but they're all for older distros like
SuSE 8.0.  Not just that, but there are widely varying reports on the
exact hardware that's in one of these things.  Oh well, lspci conquers
all.

> Currently, I'm having difficulties in configuring the [PCMCIA] network
> card. I wonder if I could stop by at this meeting and have somebody
> help me out?

Possibly.  Not me, though.  (This "having a cat who wants to be fed
regularly" thing gets in the way of me going to meetings.)

The first thing to do is to make sure that yenta_socket has been
modprobed.  The ToPIC95 PCMCIA chipset that this thing probably uses is
supported by yenta_socket (*not* i82365) in 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  Then
make sure that cardmgr is running.  This is usually started
from /etc/init.d/pcmcia or a similar script.  Once both of those things
have been done, plugging in a PCMCIA card should result in cardmgr
modprobing appropriate modules for that card.  (This will be reported
in dmesg.)  Sorta like:

pccard: PCMCIA card inserted into slot 0
cs: memory probe 0xe8000000-0xefffffff: excluding 0xe8000000-0xefffffff
Probing IDE interface ide2...
hde: Memory Card Adapter, CFA DISK drive

...except for a NIC instead of a CF adapter.  Once cardmgr has loaded
3c589 (or whatever), dhcpcd -d eth0 , and it'll get an IP via DHCP.

--
   Aye, on the shores of darkness there is light
     And precipices show untrodden green