[GLLUG] Mounting a drive

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Thu Jan 11 07:22:41 EST 2007

Jordan Robison wrote:
> Ok so I have spent a long time trying to mount this drive I have and
> every time I fail. So I am hoping some one can walk me though it.
>
> When I type: fdisk -l this is what I get
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1               1           6       48163+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda2               7         492     3903795   82  Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/hda3             493       19457   152336362+  83  Linux
>

> I am trying to get the top drive to mount( 160.0 GB)
> This is what my fstab looks like
>
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hdb1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro
> 0       1
> /dev/hdb5       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> /dev/hda   /media/share   vfat   defaults,umask=0000   0   0
> /dev/hda3    /media/hda3        swap    sw        0    0
           ^                       ^^^^
You are telling the system that hda3 is swap here. Hope it didn't use it
as such if you have data there. hda2 is actually a swap partition
according to fdisk (above).

You have three partitions on that drive. You need to mount one or more
of those three partitions (although hda3 may well have what you are
looking for) rather than the drive device itself. Try...

/dev/hda3   /media/share   vfat   defaults,umask=0000   0   0
         ^                  ^^^^

Is it really formatted vfat? fdisk says hda3 is a linux partition. I
wouldn't think vfat would be the most likely way it was formatted. ext2,
ext3, reiserfs, xfs or one of the others would be more likely.

Try manually mounting the partition with:

   mount /dev/hda3 /media/share

The system will try to determine how it is formatted and will spit out
an error if it can't figure it out. If it succeeds type mount by itself
on the command line again and the output will tell you the fs type. I'd
assume you have done this but just in case you do need to make sure the
directory /media/share exists.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us

NOTE: In order to control energy costs the light at the end
of the tunnel has been shut off until further notice...