[GLLUG] Mounting a drive

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jan 11 09:48:52 EST 2007

On Thursday 11 January 2007 07:22, after a long battle with technology,
Mike Rambo wrote:
> Jordan Robison wrote:
> > /dev/hda3     493       19457   152336362+  83 Linux

> > /dev/hda3  /media/hda3        swap    sw        0    0
> You are telling the system that hda3 is swap here. Hope it didn't use
> it as such if you have data there.

If you try to swapon /dev/foo and /dev/foo doesn't have a valid swap
signature, various sanity checks *should* prevent /dev/foo from being
used as a swap space.

> /dev/hda3   /media/share   vfat   defaults,umask=0000   0   0
>
> Is it really formatted vfat? fdisk says hda3 is a linux partition. I
> wouldn't think vfat would be the most likely way it was formatted.

Linux doesn't care that much about the partition ID in the table.  You
can have an ext3 filesystem on a partition of type 0xf6 and it'll work
fine.  Because some other common OSes are less forgiving, we usually
try to keep the types pretty similar to what they're supposed to be.

>    mount /dev/hda3 /media/share
> The system will try to determine how it is formatted and will spit
> out an error if it can't figure it out.

Yep.  mount's filesystem detection logic can work better than speccing
the type manually if you don't know what kind of filesystem is on
there.

--
   Seemingly ordinary humans transform into rage-fueled sarcasm
   dispensers.  I love it!  --Patrick Shaughnessy