[GLLUG] Re: Mounting a Drive

Charles Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 09:17:56 EST 2007

umount is for UNmounting drives, Jordan, so that's why it doesn't work
for you.  You want to use the mount command, but you don't want to use
the -a option because your fstab is not right for the drive you're
trying to mount.  /dev/hda3 is NOT a swap partition, so I would just
delete that line in fstab, or perhaps modify it for /dev/hda2.

See the man page for mount.  Assuming the filesystem on /dev/hda3 is
ext3 and that /media/ext3 exists, here's how you would mount that device

    sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /media/hda3

If you do not know the filesystem, try it without the -t option.  The
man page says it will try to determine the filesystem itself, but I've
never tried that.

If you want to mount that drive automatically every time (even though it
appears to be a removable or external drive), you could add it to fstab.
  It would look a little different than the other entries you have in it
now, so that would be a new question.

                                Chick