[GLLUG] Postfix or Exim?

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Fri Jan 12 10:50:44 EST 2007

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:17:45 -0500 (EST)
"Clay Dowling" <clay at lazarusid.com> wrote:

> On the spam-filtering front, I've had very good luck using spamd on an
> OpenBSD machine.  It's designed to run as a silent spam firewall that
> sits in front of your server.  With greylisting turned on it's very
> good at separating real mail servers from bulk spam senders.  By
> adding a few spamtrap addresses it might also be good at finding
> compromised mail servers.  spamd cut several hundred spam messages
> per day out of my mailbox, and it puts almost no load at all on the
> machine.

If you have a small site, you can consider using spampd as an smtp proxy
with postfix, to scan mail with spamassassin before postfix accepts it.
You can then block mail based on spamassassin patterns.

policyd is also a good program to dynamically blacklist remote hosts
for bad mail patterns, based on helo, sender, recipient, etc.

--
Marshal Newrock, Ideal Solution LLC
http://www.idealso.com