[GLLUG] Postfix or Exim?

Ian Fitzpatrick ian at yjusa.com
Mon Jan 15 17:43:22 EST 2007

Thanks to everyone for your input, I think I'll go with postfix.  The
reasons being ease of initial setup, and the fact that everyone and
their brother seems to have experience with it.  Read:  lots of
people to bug if I run into a big problem ;)

Sean O'Malley said...
> BEFORE you even start. Make -sure- you have an offsite secondary mail
> server.  It is better in case the network, server, or whatever goes
> bad,
> the mail is spooled somewhere else until the issue is resolved. (At
> the
> very least, you don't feel insane pressure to get things back up and
> running at 3am.)  It seriously may save your job. If you can't find
> one,
> this would be the show stopper for me to bring mail in-house.

Totally.  I will absolutely be doing this.  Two different servers,
two  different connections/backbones.

Marshal Newrock said...
> If you have a small site, you can consider using spampd as an smtp
> proxy
> with postfix, to scan mail with spamassassin before postfix accepts
> it.
> You can then block mail based on spamassassin patterns.
>
> policyd is also a good program to dynamically blacklist remote hosts
> for bad mail patterns, based on helo, sender, recipient, etc.

I haven't even begun looking at spam solutions yet (though obviously
that is a key part).  I really like the
Gmail model wherein users have a personal spam folder, so the onus is
upon them to review that folder
occasionally and ensure no false positives are taking place.  Does
spam assassin or any of the others
do this out of the box?  I guess I could always devise some kind of
rule, regardless.

Cheers,
Ian