[GLLUG] TCP/IP protocol efficiency

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed Jan 24 11:45:07 EST 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 11:23, Mike Szumlinski wrote:
> I've currently gotten involved with a project that is requiring I
> reshare thousands of 12MB files out over TCP/IP from an XFS volume
> on SuSe for use with Windows systems.  I have tried sftp and found
> the transfer speed to be somewhat less than acceptable over gig-e and
> was wondering if anyone had any input into another method of sharing
> out the files that would be A) easier and B) faster.  Obviously samba
> comes to mind, but I'm wondering if there are other easier ways to
> tune this connection.  Any suggestions/ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> -Mike

Samba is a CPU hog for transfers over fast connections, I'd recommend against
it. HTTP is pretty much going to be the fastest protocol out of the box,
especially for large very large files since the headers are only sent once
per file. If encryption is necessary, there may not be a super-fast solution,
though I think HTTPS may be faster than SFTP. With SFTP, the encryption
algorithm you use is definitely going to be a bottleneck at gig-e speeds. I'm
not sure what choices you have and what's available, but perhaps see if you
can choose a faster algorithm before switching protocols entirely.

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com