[GLLUG] Internal/External Private Messangers?

Ian Fitzpatrick ianfitz at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 15:27:51 EDT 2007

> Right - I want to not allow user self registration and have the
> whole thing basically internal.  Well, externally accessible by
> users who have accounts I have created.  I don't even know how to
> create user accounts.  I won't be mapping exisiting users/passwords.

I'd say really the first step is to just get the thing running first,
you can worry about disabling user self-registration and otherwise
locking it down after you get basic functionality up.  If your Jabber
client can't handle user self-registration, try this perl script to
generate accounts on the server:

http://scriptrepo.jabberstudio.org/ds_jabberadduser/

If it doesn't exist already, you will want to create a /var/lib/
jabber/yourserver directory, owner: jabber group:  adm , with 660
permissions.

Monitor /var/log/jabber/error.log to start honing in on what
configuration steps you need to take that you haven't yet.

Cheers,
Ian