[GLLUG] Dell Linux on YouTube

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Mon Jul 9 09:16:59 EDT 2007

The funny part is the lip service Dell gives to Linux everytime
their contract with Microsoft is due for renegotiation.

The last time I heard this much promotion by Dell for Linux was when XP
was coming out and when they were trying to "settle" the anti-trust
lawsuit. IIRC Dell was trying to get out of the "microsoft tax" of like 25
per machine for a windows license whether or not, it actually shipped with
windows or not. (Customers, wanted to just transfer their old licenses to
the new hardware.) and the time before that Dell was trying to knock the
price of per machine cost, by paying 25 dollars instead of 35 dollars per
license. Before Linux was really popular, I think they bought amiga or
plan9, BeOs or something else, to be able to install AOL as default
software (They got paid big money by AOL to have the AOL software
installed on the desktop.) and they just sat on the company they bought
and I think later sold it.