[GLLUG] 3" floppy

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Wed Jul 11 18:07:18 EDT 2007

> Hey Steve, you are right, it is 3", and if you find out it is still
> alive, please let me know, my friend need to convert or print the
> document with a certain urgency.

It won't help with the physical recovery, but if you can get the bits
off the disk and into an image, I've had good luck recovering Word
document contents from raw floppy disk images.  It takes a bit of
effort, but even 1.44MB image isn't too big to manually go through in a
couple hours.  Due to the age, I would expect these files to have much
less binary content and thus be that much easier to recover.

Basically, what typically happened in the situations I delt with was
that the Word 97 (or close) release didn't use the Windows OS calls to
handle accessing floppy disks.  If you opened Word and then later
swapped the disk and then saved, Word would overwrite parts of the
filesystem on the second disk with the data raw copied from the first.