[GLLUG] Notebook Internals

Ian Walker walkeri1 at msu.edu
Mon Jul 30 12:57:03 EDT 2007

All my experience with notebooks is that as long as you're careful,
organized, and (above all) patient, you should be fine. Get your
hands on a service manual if you can, dig in, and <em>be patient</
em>. Its easy to get frustrated, with how they cram all those
components into that small a case. It can't be any worse than Apple's
iBooks, believe me. :)

OT, I know, but the best notebooks I've ever worked on?

The G3 Pismo Powerbooks: http://lowendmac.com/pb2/pismo.shtml
Take off the keyboard, and you don't need any tools to get the HDD
out. Same with wireless. One screw removes the heatsink, and you can
get at the processor if you have to. That'll get you at the RAM too.
It was a breeze.

An ex of mine had a Dell that was a breeze too - RAM was one screw
underneath. The HDD slid out on a little sled after you pulled one
other screw. Made things a lot easier when I had to replace the drive.

Ian!
walkeri1 at msu.edu