[GLLUG] Notebook Internals

Marr marr at copper.net
Mon Jul 30 13:33:39 EDT 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007 3:16am, Chick Tower wrote:
> Do any regular meeting attendees have experience opening up notebook
> PCs?  I have an old Toshiba that might need a new hard drive, and it
> doesn't seem to be easily accessible.  I don't have a power cord for it
> right now, so I can't power it on to run tests, but it would be nice to
> know how to replace the hard drive.
>
>                                 Chick

Chick,

I don't know what model Toshiba you're referring to, but my old (but still
very useful and reliable) Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT has a single screw on the
bottom to remove, after which a plastic piece on the left edge (assuming the
notebook is right-side-up) pops off and there's another screw now visible
which holds the metal frame in place. This metal frame holds the HDD, which
slides out nicely with a wire "pull handle".

Your Toshiba may be very different, of course.

As to power, my Toshiba uses a 15V power supply, clearly marked on the back
edge. The adapter itself further shows that it's a 3-amp supply. As you
probably know, I'm not a regular attendee, but if you have a 15V laptop and
wanted to try powering it up, I might be able to attend a meeting someday
soon with my power adapter in hand.

HTH....

Bill Marr