[GLLUG] Wok wireless antenna -> p-to-p wireless

Lachniet, Mark mlachniet at analysts.com
Tue Jun 5 17:03:55 EDT 2007

I used to run a multi-site wireless WAN when I was at Holt Schools.  The most important thing is a path analysis, as was previously noted.  you can get these done at a fairly reasonable price, but this will tell you if (A) its possible and (B) what height to put your antennas at.  The next thing is to get towers that can get you above the trees.  90' I think is the limit before you need a permit.  Some of the newer (read: more expensive) wireless uses technology that is resiliant to obstacles, but it costs a mint.  The goal is to set it up with free software and 486 computers, right?  If you really wanted to do it cheap, you'd get some linux boot disks and 2.4 parabolic antennas hooked up to Lucent wavelan cards (or other cards with an external antenna connector).   A while back I made some Linux Router Project boot disks  that work with a 486 and Intel pro 100 / wavelan cards you could use.  I also have an extra 2.4ghz parabolic antenna I could give ya cheap :)

Mark Lachniet
Analysts International
(517) 336-1004 (voice)
(517) 648-7903 (cell)