[GLLUG] Notes on my first meeting. . .

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Fri Jun 8 16:02:24 EDT 2007

Benjamin Cathey wrote:
> Well - I finally did it.  I attended a meeting.  Nervousness was running rampant on the drive in (I am socially challenged.)  I kept to myself for most of it, not because I don't like you guys, just because I was panicing at a room full of people I don't know.

Welcome Benjamin.  This was the first meeting at Ideal solutions, but
we've done a variety of things like a BBQ, social meetings at the Gone
Wired, and of course "PENGUICON!".  Although Frank did an awesome job on
the presentation, that meeting was a bit more formal than we've had
lately.  Now that we have good presentation facilities, that type of a
meeting may be little more common now, but you should stick around at a
minimum to see how the new location affects things.

> A few questions.  Are we a Non-Profit?  How do we fund events, like the Con or even the Pizza?  Is there a community pot?  Do we fund-raise or sell Penguin Mints or anything of that like?

Both GLLUG and Penguicon are non-profit.  Penguicon is supporting by the
registration fees and most the labor comes from volunteers such as
ourselves (who usually get the fees refunded).  We loan our own
equipment for the duration of the con, Ideal Solutions helps out with
hosting, etc.

> If not I should have thrown in for the pizza.  It appears I am the only veggie in the group except the other guy who was eating the cheese pizza.  For all I know he was just averse to unidentified meats (like pepperoni) :D

We typically pass around a Pizza envelope, but that was forgotten last
time.  I just plan to toss in a little extra next week.  You're not the
only vegetarian, but I was the other one eating the cheese pizza (no red
meat, but I do fish and poultry).

> Also - I am horrible with names.  It has to do with the social phobia thing.  Sorry it will take me a while to put faces and names together.

Me too.  I've been a regular member since sometime around the new year
and I still have trouble with a few people's names.  I think you will
find that such issues are fairly common in organizations like GLLUG.