[GLLUG] Permissions on a FAT32 volume?

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Mon Jun 11 11:08:48 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 10:15:35AM -0400, Mike Szumlinski wrote:

   This is probably so simple, but I have been helping some friends get fiber
   channel up and working on their AutoDesk Smoke system for some testing and
   they are able to see a FAT32 LUN with no problem, but only root has
   permission to write to it.  We basically want to give open access to the
   drive to any user on the system.  Am I missing something in the fstab?  I
   know FAT32 doesn't support permissions, so my thought was that it should
   actually just allow full read/write by all users.

   Any ideas or things to look for?

   -Mike

I think in FreeBSD, the permissions on the mountpoint directory
(unmount the fat32 first) would get propagated when the fat32 is
mounted, but I wouldn't be suprised if there are flags you could
put in fstab that would be specified by the fat32 mount command.