[GLLUG] VMware Nat-ed Network

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Fri Mar 2 19:05:31 EST 2007

Caleb Cushing wrote:
> Masquerade is set up (and I think working) I think I'm missing the
> interface (on host) I only have lo and eth0 I think I'm supposed to
> have a vmnet0. I'm  doing this at work for site testing in a safe
> environment so I'll check at work. maybe I should try running it as a
> private network instead. If they literally thought they were 2
> different. Oh and I'm using vmware server.
>
> On 3/1/07, Richard Houser <rick at divinesymphony.net> wrote:
>> Caleb Cushing wrote:
>> > anyone ever set up a NAT-ed vmware machine. I'm trying to get winblows
>> > running on a virtual machine with network, and 1 IP address for both
>> > linux and windows. windows work. I just don't know what I need to do
>> > to get network up on it.
>>
>> It's always just worked for me.  When you add the different options like
>>  a NAT'd network, you just get additional network interfaces on the host
>> machine with default iptables setup (maybe missing some netfilter/masq
>> modules?).  You probably just need to setup the masquerade there, or
>> switch to running through something like a socks/http proxy already on
>> the linux host.

I don't think the GPL'd kernel portion is different between the products
(even player, except maybe shipped version).  The any-any patches needed
to get them to run on kernels not officially sanctioned by vmware is the
same for all.

You should definitely have additional interfaces, perhaps something is
wrong with your vmware kernel modules (vmnet perhaps?  check your
vmware-config.pl script as root).