Re: [GLLUG] Off Topic - Please, HTML/CSS problem, any help?

Benjamin Cathey benjamincathey at catheycompany.com
Tue Mar 6 22:20:14 EST 2007

Wow - that was long.

Like I said, I'm an amateur at web design.  The menu structure I got from someone else on a help page and changed it all around to fit what I wanted.  Everything has turned out peachy in the end.  It is a simple page that loads quickly and now works in IE7 thanks to Ryan I believe it was.

An external style sheet was my original intention.  I don't know enough about all this to do it right I suppose.  I guess it would be like my individual poems which include a link to a style sheet.  I would just copy out all the stuff b/w <style> and </style> and then put that in it's own file with a reference.

As for the extensions, that's probably good advice except I don't even plan on using PHP or anything else.  My original thought was a purely text page but then I thought a minimalist interface would be nice ( I like fluxbox and keeping things simple.)  I didn't use and Java and didn't want to.   I thought it should all be able to be done in a text editor with CSS.

It was a learning experience for me.  The website I designed for the company I work for, I designed using Dreamweaver.  I know now, from looking at the source, that it is all backwards.  Dreamweaver just kept creating new styles every time I changed a font or text at all.  I would like to clean that up to but there is no time.

Is there a web based CSS checker?  That is what I was looking for when I found the other tests, which my site passed.

All in all I like the way it turned out.  I have only gotten one piece of of feedback so far and that person liked the site.

Regards,

Benjamin Cathey
System Administrator
Cathey Company