[GLLUG] Penguicon Is Coming

Chick Tower c.e.tower at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 20:25:38 EST 2007

Penguicon 5.0 will be held April 20th through 22nd this year in Troy,
Michigan.  It's a combined FOSS/science-fiction/fantasy convention; you
can find out everything about it at http://www.penguicon.org.  As most
of you know, GLLUG will provide a computer lounge where people can
access the internet or try out FOSS applications, just as we did last
year.  This means we need people to set things up, run them, and keep an
eye on them during the convention.  We'll also be conducting an
installfest on Saturday, for which we'll need a few more volunteers.  I
am coordinating the staffing of the lounge, and I hope those of you
attending Penguicon will be generous with your time.  I'll be doing most
of my communicating via e-mail, as I'm gone much of the time, so, if you
would like to offer some time as a computer lounge volunteer, please
send me an e-mail to this address so I can compile a mailing list.

I realize this is still a month-and-a-half away, but feel free to
volunteer for specific time slots or just say you want to help but you
have yet to decide when.  You can find the latest version of
the Penguicon events and presentations schedule at
http://www.penguicon.org/programming, so you can see what you wish to
attend.  We need people with Linux and networking skills, but we also
need people just to keep an eye on things and answer general questions,
as well as people to set the lounge up and disassemble it at the end of
the convention.  In short, we have need of volunteers regardless of
their technical skills.  Please keep in mind that we do need to have
someone in the computer lounge twenty-four hours a day, since the door
will not be locked.  I'll publish the current volunteer schedule in a
Google spreadsheet, the address of which I'll provide later.

Even if you don't spend any time working in the computer lounge, I
encourage you to spend some time at Penguicon.  They have daily rates if
you don't want to spend the whole weekend there.  There's a lot to see
and do.  If you enjoy the weekly GLLUG meetings, you'll enjoy Penguicon,
because it's the same people PLUS a few hundred others, all there to
enjoy themselves and share stories and information.  Some even wear
entertaining costumes.

                                Chick