[GLLUG] Computer Lounge wiki

Charles Ulrich charles at idealso.com
Wed Mar 7 09:45:08 EST 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 22:17, Jason Green wrote:
> One thing we could consider is having the CDs available
> to check out, but install the games on each PC.  That way, when
> someone wants to play a game, they come to the front desk and sign
> out for the disc, then return it when they're finished.  Cedega
> supports copy protection properly on most of those games, so this
> would be feasible and we could avoid having to use no-cd cracks which
> are of
> questionable legality anyway (I fully support them in theory, but I
> don't think their legal status has ever been actually tested).

Legally, they're protected under the DMCA. (Which is an utter joke, but
that's a topic for another day.) However, I don't think many people are
going to bother playing games if they have to suffer the inconvenience
of checking out the CDs. If we want people to actually play the games,
we should make it so that they can just sit down and start playing.
(But this is just my opinion, the actual decision is Caleb's.)

How badly will we suffer if we eliminate games with CD checks from the
lineup?

> Vanilla Wine won't support most of the copy protection methods used
> by many of those games.  Cedega doesn't support SecuROM 7 at the
> moment, which is used by the version of Dawn of War that I have (the
> Gold Edition).
>
> Crediting Transgaming for the licenses would be appreciated as well.

Definitely. Anyone have suggestions on the best way to do that?

--
Charles Ulrich
Ideal Solution, LLC -- http://www.idealso.com