[GLLUG] State of Gaming machines in the Computer lounge at Penguicon

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 23:53:29 EDT 2007

I know this is (to my knowledge) the first time MDLUG has been made aware of
this. But, Currently the gaming section of the computer lounge may or may
not happen we have 1 machine for sure committed, 1 (that meet specs) If we
need it, and another (that doesn't meet specs) if we need it. Currently the
show of Gaming on linux will be moderate at best and perhaps poor. I am
currently thinking it would be better not to show off at all than to have a
couple of so so systems.

The Goal

1.)Show that Linux can run "Blockbuster" games (meaning proprietary bought
it at best buy) well
2.) Show that linux can beat vista's in 3D desktops.

The Problem
1.) Hardware we don't have it.
2.) Licenses of games. I think we have enough to make a decent showing but
not on all the systems I want to have running.

What we want
6 machines capable of running the games on our list. our requirements were
64-bit 2Ghz + (amd or intel)
Nvidia 6000 + (nvidia cards only)
1GB of RAM
Linux compatible Motherboards

right now I don't think any of the machines that have been volunteered run a
compiz or beryl environment (I'm not sure but I'll let the owner's correct
me).

We'll Take whatever we can get that can make a decent showing of games on
linux, so My bare minimum requirement (meaning I won't accept less) is that
it runs diablo 2: lod well.

I would still love to receive "corporate" sponsorship, in the way of lending
us the hardware for the duration of the con (and a little before so we have
time to set the machines up). I am open to all suggestions and anyone
willing to go looking for sources of hardware.

--
Caleb Cushing