[GLLUG] dell computer

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Thu May 10 17:13:37 EDT 2007

Dell is known for putting a lot of junk components into it's systems.
Usually, the motherboard and cases are highly proprietary and not worth
buying replacement parts for.  However, before you get to that point,
there is probably a lot of other stuff in that case worth salvaging even
if the motherboard is trashed.  At a minimum, you are probably talking a
CPU + heatsink combo, a P4 processor, a little bit of low-end RAM, an
optical drive (probably a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo or a DVD writer), and a
hard disk.

Could you bring the power supply tonight? (if you can't remove it
yourself, just bring the whole tower).  I've got a low-cost power supply
tester we can plug into your machine to test the levels and flag any
obvious problems with it.  Overall, failed power supplies are probably
the single most common failure I've seen on low-end systems, and they
can cause damage to other electronics in the case.

After you've tested the power supply, your second task needs to be
taking the cover off the case and powering it on where you can see the
CPU fan.  If it's spinning quickly and evenly, and the heatsink is
firmly attached to the board, you aren't going to be in any major risk
of damaging other components.  From there, you need to run a memory
tester like memtest86 overnight, then try to install an OS on it.  You
can download memtest ISO images from the Internet, but some Linux
distros like Mandriva 2006.0 (in 2007, memtest didn't work for me)
contain a copy of memtest86 off the initial cd/dvd boot menu.