[GLLUG] dell computer

Caleb Cushing xenoterracide at gmail.com
Thu May 10 19:08:39 EDT 2007

being an ex dell warranty from what she's told me so far it isn't the power
supply. but I have to  look further. but generally you don't get anything
onscreen if the powersupply is dead. It's either the fan or the mobo. I'm
hoping fan. I've seen those die on the job. it worked when I turned it of
and wasn't working when I turned it back on.

On 5/10/07, Richard Houser <rick at divinesymphony.net> wrote:

> Dell is known for putting a lot of junk components into it's systems.
> Usually, the motherboard and cases are highly proprietary and not worth
> buying replacement parts for.  However, before you get to that point,
> there is probably a lot of other stuff in that case worth salvaging even
> if the motherboard is trashed.  At a minimum, you are probably talking a
> CPU + heatsink combo, a P4 processor, a little bit of low-end RAM, an
> optical drive (probably a CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo or a DVD writer), and a
> hard disk.
>
> Could you bring the power supply tonight? (if you can't remove it
> yourself, just bring the whole tower).  I've got a low-cost power supply
> tester we can plug into your machine to test the levels and flag any
> obvious problems with it.  Overall, failed power supplies are probably
> the single most common failure I've seen on low-end systems, and they
> can cause damage to other electronics in the case.
>
> After you've tested the power supply, your second task needs to be
> taking the cover off the case and powering it on where you can see the
> CPU fan.  If it's spinning quickly and evenly, and the heatsink is
> firmly attached to the board, you aren't going to be in any major risk
> of damaging other components.  From there, you need to run a memory
> tester like memtest86 overnight, then try to install an OS on it.  You
> can download memtest ISO images from the Internet, but some Linux
> distros like Mandriva 2006.0 (in 2007, memtest didn't work for me)
> contain a copy of memtest86 off the initial cd/dvd boot menu.
>

> Julie Code wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >        Today when I went to take the trash out, there was a computer
> > sitting in the dumpster.  A dell Demension desktop P4 4500.  I just
> > plugged it in and the fans are moving and it beeps when i turn it on and
> > says processor fan not detected.  I think it may say something about a
> > mboard too but not sure.  I was wondering if anyone had a working
> > motherboard that they'd be willing to sell me that i could put into this
> > machine.  I know the LCD monitor works that they threw away because I
> > just plugged it into my other computer.  I talked to Caleb on the IM and
> > that is what he thinks is wrong with it.  I wonder if it was someone who
> > didnt know a whole lot about computers and got mad and just threw it in
> > the dumpster when it mayt be an easy fix?? Well, thanks for any of your
> > input you may have.
> >
> > Julie

Caleb Cushing