[GLLUG] Redhat releases new GPL fonts

Michael Rudas audiotech50 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 16:35:24 EDT 2007

I found this on another list (Marcel Gagne's WFTL-LUG).  Thanks, Marcelino Mata!

RedHat contracted a company to create fonts under the GPL and is
releasing them to all.

"You are free to use these fonts on any system you would like.  You
are free to redistribute them under the GPL+ exception license found
in the download.  Using these fonts does not subject your documents to
the GPL, it liberates them from any proprietary claim.  Once you have
installed these fonts, I encourage you to make them your default in
Thunderbird, Firefox, and OpenOffice.org.  Heck, for that matter make
them your default in Microsoft Office, in Microsoft Windows, in Apple
OSX, in anything you would like.  In many applications you can set
Times New Roman, Arial and Courier New to convert to these fonts."

<http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/05/09/liberation-fonts>

Another list member posted this useful tutorial link (from Malta!):

http://www.linux.org.mt/article/ttfonts

There are other such tutorials out there, of course.  Cool news!

-- Mikey