[GLLUG] Fw: [mdlug] OO.org in Mi schools

eric.hein at us.army.mil eric.hein at us.army.mil
Tue May 15 10:34:34 EDT 2007

  I've not been on the hiring end of things, but I imagine the Word and Excel plugs on a resume are negligible.  My reasoning for this is that most people who claim to be able to use Word simply know how to type.  They use only the most basic features, ignoring simply things such as efficient keyboard shortcuts and the ability to invoke find-replace.  Nevermind any of the advanced features.  Similarly with Excel, people make lists, do some basic math and forms.

  At this level of use the differences between OO.o and the MS products are negligible.  I've used OO.o nearly exclusively for the past couple of years.  The biggest weakness (the article didn't mention) is the incomplete compatibility with MS formats.  I get around this by export most of my published documents to .pdf.  However, with organizational wide implementation this is mostly overcome as outlined in the article.  Persons without the software can obtain it easily.

  A final caveat in support of your statement.  I do find the menu variations between OO.o and MS products to be troublesome as I switch back and forth between the suites from home and work.  At times I forgot who put what options where.

Related but off-topic opinion.  Many of the problems I see with people switching between different applications for similar tasks lie in a general lack of knowledge of computers in general.  These people learn each application as a monolithic study.  They are not aware that any of the principles learned in one application are indeed transferable to another.  If more people functions originate at the hardware, OS, and application levels, there would be much less confusioin.  I know people that I need to constantly remind that you may copy and paste in each new app they install.