[GLLUG] Thursday's Meeting?

Thomas Hruska thruska at cubiclesoft.com
Thu May 17 13:11:58 EDT 2007

Eric Miller wrote:
>> There is no argument:  Top-posting is NOT proper netiquette -
>> especially for mass mailing lists.  Read RFC1855.  Top-posting is in
>> violation of the proper use of e-mail according to the Internet
>> Engineering Task Force (IETF - the people who make and maintain
>> Internet standards like HTTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, DNS, TCP, UDP, IP, etc.)
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855
>
> rfc1855 is interesting. I've read netiquette guides before but not this
> one. Since it's an RFC is it considered authoritative?

"Network Working Group
Category: Informational

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  This memo
does not specify an Internet standard of any kind."

RFCs, to get an official number, have to pass through the IETF
Secretariat.  In this case, it also had to pass through the Network WG
(WG = working group).  So, while it isn't a definitive Standard, it is
far more authoritative than netiquette guides found elsewhere or even
Wikipedia.

> I found one reference about where to post replies. To me it implies
> bottom posting but isn't explicit. I searched for "reply", "end", and
> "bottom" but did not find anything. It was a quick scan so please
> correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> "If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
> summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
> enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
> sure readers understand when they start to read your response."

Bottom-posters tend to cut the fat out of quotes.  Top-posters usually
include every post back to the original.  You missed quoting the
important part of that text:

"Giving context helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!"

People would complain far less about top-posting (and bad bottom-posts)
if they took the time to cut the fat (unnecessary quoting) out of each
reply.

> Personally most of the mail I get has a top-reply and I'm fine with it.
> I scroll down to the bottom and scroll back up as I read if I need to
> read it all. But I'll go along with whatever rules are expressed by
> whomever is hosting/administrating the list.
>
> Eric Miller

In general, I don't really care if personal mail is top-posted.  But
mailing list mail is very ingrained with bottom-posting mentality...it
just works better for mailing lists to bottom-post.

--
Thomas Hruska
CubicleSoft President

*NEW* VerifyMyPC 2.5
Change tracking and management tool.
Reduce tech. support times from 2 hours to 5 minutes.

http://www.CubicleSoft.com/VerifyMyPC/