[GLLUG] postscript document

Clay Dowling clay at lazarusid.com
Tue May 29 08:30:00 EDT 2007

Julie,

You might check out The LaTeX Companion, which is found in the computer
section instead of the Human Sexuality section of the bookstore, as one
might expect.  I'm at the office right now, but if you can't find the book
online I'll try to remember to look this up for you at home.

I've definitely included jpeg images into LaTeX documents before, so I
know that it can be done.  Just don't remember what I did to make it work.

Something you definitely will want to do is to change the resolution of
the image.  Jpeg images are naturally at 72dpi, which is a very large and
crude dot for print.  300 dpi is more typical for printing.  If you have
the original data The Gimp can be used to boost the resolution, which will
of course reduce the image size (roughly 1/4th the physical size).

Clay

Julie Code wrote:
> Hey guys,
>           It's been pretty quiet around here lately. =) I have asked some
> people on #latex about this, and I know a couple of you have had
> experience
> with LaTeX.  So sorry for posting off topic but if anyone has any idea if
> they could fix my problem, let me know.  I am trying to insert a jpeg file
> into latex. And I am having a heck of a time, been tryinig for hours all
> kinds of stuff and keeps on spitting out the same error message to me.
> Here
> is what I type in
>
> \begin{figure}[tbp]
> \centering
> \includegraphics[width=\columnwidth]{/home/julie/im004704.jpg}
> \caption{Figure 1.1}
> \end{figure}
>
> here is what I get as output:
>

> ! LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in
> /home/julie/im004705.jpg
> (no
> BoundingBox).
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.70 ...th=\columnwidth]{/home/julie/im004705.jpg}
>

> Well if anyone has the slightest idea what is going on let me know.
>
> julie

Simple Content Management
http://www.ceamus.com