[GLLUG] PHP vs Python

Nicholas Kwiatkowski kwiatk27 at msu.edu
Fri Nov 9 07:35:23 EST 2007

One thing you have to consider is the scalability of the language, as
compared to the size of the application you are writing.

PHP, while easy to pickup and learn starts having scalability issues once
you application becomes very complex (lots of code).  Unless you adhere to
very strict coding standards, PHP applications often can become very
unwieldy and hard to manage.  PHP does not make it easy for code re-use, and
modularization and portability of your code, as compared to other languages.

Python, while still not my preferred language, forces you to design your
code in a much more organized way.  It still is a scripting language, so
performance can be an issue if the application becomes large, but by
utilizing coding practices of code-reuse, and hopefully some OOP principals,
your code will be manageable.

Have you thought of Java, .NET or ColdFusion?  These languages take your
source code and compile them into bytecode which is significantly faster
than parsing script.  The main advantage is scalability here, and of course,
these languages all but require OOP principals, so code-reuse and
manageability is easy and helps you be more efficient when coding.

-Nick Kwiatkowski