[GLLUG] PHP vs Python

Nicholas Kwiatkowski kwiatk27 at msu.edu
Sat Nov 10 21:35:49 EST 2007

While I agree that programming style and efficiency will always determine
how quick an application runs, J2EE (don't associate J2EE applications with
Java Applets or Java Applications) applications run QUICK.  Java and .NET
scale, cluster and outperform any platform out there.  Please, show me a
benchmark to back up your claim that shows Java is slow compared to PHP,
Python, Ruby, Perl, etc.

I have seen applications and full-blown servers run on nothing but Java.
All the phones at the campus of Michigan State University are powered by two
Pentium 3, 600Mhz boxes running RH Linux.  The actual communications
manager?  A Tomcat EAR file.   The Cable-TV headend that Comcast runs to
send video signal to Lansing?  A series of Java applications.  Novell
Netware?  It's been a Java application since version 5.

Java IS enterprise.  Java is quick.

-Nick